Sitting. It’s good for a night of Netflix with your bae, but it’s bad for your body. And especially bad for your booty. Long gone are the days when we wanted a skinny flat butt from the woman’s body we once desired. Today’s butts are round, lifted, strong and proud. I’ve worked hard to get my booty to where it is today. But looks aside, the best part about working out your butt using my favourite butt exercises is that you’re actually working other muscles too, like your abs.
This is a list of my top 6 favourite butt exercises for a great booty that you’ll never again cover with long sweaters or an untucked shirt.
Work your booty at home with my 6 favourite butt exercises
- step or bench (a couch works too!)
1. Step ups
This move tackles the stubborn droopy butt. Targeting the glute muscles, these help to lift and firm things up. Plus they increase your heart rate for an extra calorie burn.
- Start by standing in front of a bench or chair.
- With your back straight, plant your foot firmly on the bench keeping your knee in line with your hip.
- Follow with your other foot so you are standing firmly on the bench.
- Stepping backwards, bring your foot back to the ground, followed by other to reach a standing position.
- Repeat these steps starting with your left foot.
- Continue by alternating between your right and left foot.
2. Walking Lunges (with weights on shoulders)
This exercise is a double win. It works your booty and strengthens your core muscles all at the same time.
- Start in a standing position with your feet hip width apart, and a dumbbell on each hand held over your shoulders.
- Take a big step forward with your right foot bending your knee at 90 degrees in front of you.
- Lower your body until your left knee almost touches the ground behind you.
- Pushing through your heels, step your left foot forward returning to standing position with your feet hip width apart.
- Alternate movements between each leg.
3. Speed skaters
This one is all about combining cardio with butt toning. Basically the peanut butter and jam of a great booty. Tone up the sides of your butt with this move that’s perfect for where your jeans hug your hips.
- Start in a standing position with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart with your arms by your sides.
- Bending your right knee, swing your left leg behind your right leg in the air behind you, with both arms swinging to the left to follow.
- Switch legs in a continuous motion, leaping to your left leg, keep your knee bent, swinging your right leg behind your left leg. Swing you’re your arms to the right following the direction of your leg.
- Continue jumping backing and forth between each leg in a continuous motion.
4. Reverse cross over lunge
I love these because they mix up the average lunge and give it a bit more challenge. They keep your butt activated the entire time so you’re working hard to sculpt your dream booty.
- Start in a standing position with your feet hip width apart.
- With your left foot take a big step back diagonally to the outside of your right heel. Your right knee should be bent at 90 degrees in front of you.
- Step back to starting position by pushing through your heel.
- Complete all the reps on that side before repeating the movement on the other foot.
5. In & out jumping squats
Double up on the burn with this exercise. You’ll feel it in your thighs and butt thanks to its cardio and leg leaning powers.
- Start in a standing position with your feet together.
- Bending your knees into a squat position lower yourself as if you were sitting until your thighs are parallel with the floor. Be sure to keep your knees behind your toes and keep your back straight.
- Pushing through your heels, jump straight up spreading your feet apart, landing in a wide stance. Your feet should be wider than shoulder width apart.
- Bend your knees into a squatting position again, and jump back up bringing your feet back together on landing.
- Continue alternating squatting and jumping your legs apart and back together without pause.
6. Sumo squats
I love these because they sculpt your inner and outer thighs all in one move. Twice the awesome in only half the work .
- Stand with your feet a few inches wider than shoulder width apart and your toes pointed outward.
- Hold your dumbbell with both hands at chest level.
- With your back straight, slowly lower yourself as if you were sitting, bending your knees and hips until your thighs are parallel with the floor. Be sure to transfer your weight backwards into your heels, keeping your knees behind your toes.
- Push through your heels to extend your legs and return to a standing position.
Love your #innerbabe
Okay now it’s your turn. Hop off the couch or away from your desk and make time for yourself. You deserve it! It’s time to get your workout on with my favourite butt exercises. Got questions? Hop over to my Facebook page, join our community of inner babes and ask away. I’d love to hear from you.
What are your favourite butt exercises? Share them with us in the comments below.