For us ladies, the back of our thighs can be a serious trouble spot when it comes to cellulite. It’s probably one of the most common insecurities we struggle with when bikini season rolls around and everyone’s wearing short shorts. And while cellulite is definitely a complicated beast and no one exercise alone is a miracle cure, these four hamstring exercises for at home can help you start strengthening the muscular tissue where it counts.
Cellulite can be the result of a combination of things including your genes, body fat and hormone changes. Lifestyle habits like eating too much junk, dehydration and smoking can also affect the appearance of cellulite too. The truth is, the dimply skin of your trouble spots might never be perfectly smooth like the models you see in magazines. Most of the time that’s photoshop. Cellulite is way more common in women than men, and that’s because of structural differences in the skin, so there’s only so much we can actually do about it.
If you want to smooth out the back of your legs, the best solution is to eat healthy real food, and include a combination of HIIT cardio with strength training. Combined the two styles of exercise will help to reduce your body fat percentage, and strengthen your muscles.
Here are four of my go-to hamstring exercises for at home workouts to target your trouble spots and hit your glutes as well. Trying incorporating these hamstring exercises into your regular lower body or leg day to switch things up.
Target cellulite with these 4 hamstring exercises for at home
1. Bridges (off the couch)
- Start by lying on the floor with the heels of your feet shoulder width apart on the couch.
- Keeping your upper back and neck flat on floor, lift your hips up towards the ceiling, then slowly lower them back down to starting position.
- Repeat the exercise without pause.
2. Stability ball hamstring curls
- Begin by laying on the floor with your heels and calves lifted off the ground resting on the stability ball, and your arms flat on the floor beside you.
- Using your feet roll the ball in closer towards your body as you lift your hips off the ground and towards the ceiling.
- Continue rolling the ball in as close as you can, then using your feet gently roll it back out to starting position. Lower your hips as you roll it away from you.
- Repeat without pause.
3. Walking lunges
- Start in a standing position with your feet hip width apart.
- Take a big step forward with your right foot bending your knee at 90 degrees in front of you.
- Lower your body until your left knee almost touches the ground behind you.
- Pushing through your heels, step your left foot forward returning to standing position with your feet hip width apart.
- Alternate movements between each leg.
4. Stiff legged deadlifts
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder width apart. Bend over and grab a barbell with shoulder width grip.
- Drawing your shoulder blades in together with your back flat, stand until your legs are straight.
- Slowly lower the bar back down keeping your legs straight.
- Repeat without pause.
Love your #innerbabe
Toning your hamstrings is sure to pay off next time you put your shorts on, but don’t stress if you still see some cellulite. Reducing the appearance of cellulite is seriously challenging. Exercise alone isn’t necessarily enough to change the appearance of dimply skin, plus it can take a really long time. Eat healthy foods, increase your water intake and try to embrace your body where it’s at. 80-90% of women have cellulite, so you’re definitely not alone, and it’s probably not even as noticeable to everyone else as you think it is.
What are your favourite moves for keeping your thighs and butt bikini-body ready? Share them with us in the comments below.